Since 2020, Dundee Carers Centre and Carers of Dundee have been recording short information videos explaining the different services that support carers and the people they care for across the city. Below we’ve complied a list of the most useful ones. Some were made specifically for this page, and others were produced as part of the popular Let’s Talk series.
Carer Support Services
- Short Breaks Service at Dundee Carers Centre Students from University of Dundee talk to Christine about the short breaks service at Dundee Carers Centre. To enquire about accessing a short break, either
- Call Dundee Carers Centre on 01382 200422 and ask to be referred to the Short Breaks Team or
- Email [email protected] with your name, address, and contact details
Learning & personal development
- Adult Literacy Team at Dundee Council Hear Carmel Thompson, Community Learning & Development Worker speak about options for developing your reading, writing, spelling, speaking and numeracy in a supportive and flexible environment.
- Abertay University Student Support Hear from Claire Gammie, Abertay’s Widening Access Officer about options available for student carers.
- University of Dundee – Part time options Find out about flexible options for studying at University of Dundee.
- University of Dundee Student Support Service – Carer Support Watch a shortened version of the interview conducted by Social Work Students from the University of Dundee on placement with Dundee Carers Centre, who spoke to Joan Muszynski, Student Support Advisor on the help and support available to students who are in a caring role. To watch the full version of the interview click here
Mental & Physical Health
- Ninewells Health Shop & Advice Centre support, advice, and information is available at the Ninewells Health Shop and Advice Centre based at Ninewells Hospital. If you require help and advice, you can speak to an advisor by contact through the following means:
- Tel: 01382 633859 or 01382 740519
- Email: [email protected]
- Facebook – @NHSTaysideHealthShop
- Twitter – @AdviceCentre_NW
- Or by visiting their base at Ninewells Hospital (last unit on the right-hand side in the main concourse)
- Listening Service The listening service is available to anyone registered with a Tayside GP practice. You could access a 50-minute appointment with fully trained listeners on the phone or within your GP practice all for FREE. Email [email protected], call 01382 423116 or text 0796 7771941 to make an appointment or find out more. Both staff-initiated and self-referrals are welcome.
- Women’s Wellbeing Club Women’s Wellbeing Clubs are Peer Support Groups run by volunteers at local venues Nationwide.
- Andy’s Man Club During this powerful interview, we speak to Alex from Andy’s Man Club who speaks to Kev our host on why the charity was first formed and information on local groups in Dundee & Angus.
- Penumbra Claire is joined by Laurie and Anne from Penumbra Dundee Wellness Centre who discusses the Carer Support Service the organisation provides, plus general support and partnership working they are currently involved in.
- Wellbeing Works is a non-profit organisation that provides one-to-one support and group activities to help people and to promote better mental health and wellbeing.
- Carer’s Wellbeing Journey Each of these modules is full of local information specific to Dundee, but you’ll also find links to quality resources from across Scotland and the world if you want to find out more about a specific topic.
- Guardianship and Power of Attorney Lorna Christine and Robin Beattie from Thorntons Solicitors talk about Power of Attorney and Guardianship.
- Citizens Advice Bureau – Dundee
- Faith in the Community Claire is joined by Daniel from Faith in the Community who talks about the service as a whole including community cafes, community fridges, and how these are all tailored to suit local communities based on feedback. Find out what is available within a 20-minute distance from your own home Monday to Sunday. Find out more: Website: https://faithincommunitydundee.org/ Email: [email protected] Telephone no: 01382 825351
- SCARF Matthew from Scarf Dundee chats to Claire about what support is available to help with the cost of fuel rises, financial support that is available, and how to make your home more energy efficient by doing small things around the home. For further information, contact 0808 129 0888 / 012241 213 005 https://www.scarf.org.uk/contact/ Email: [email protected]
- Social Security Scotland Carers of Dundee were joined by Lyndsey from Social Security Scotland who gave a brief overview of benefits that Social Security Scotland provides and is looking to provide in the future. This included benefits such as Carers Allowance Supplement, Child Disability Payment, and Young Carer Grant. Lyndsey was also available to answer a few questions that were sent live during the episode. For more information please visit https://www.socialsecurity.gov.scot/
Services for the person you care for
- Dementia Post Diagnostic Support Service People with Dementia living in Scotland are entitled Dementia post-diagnostic support following their diagnosis. This video is a chance to hear from the team about how a diagnosis is made and what happens afterwards.
- Marie Curie Helen MacGregor from Marie Curie speaks about the services on offer to carers and their families after a loved one is diagnosed with a terminal illness. For information, support or to access the helper service from Marie Curie, contact 0800 090 2309 or go to https://www.mariecurie.org.uk If you think you might benefit from the Marie Curie nursing service, contact your district nurse or GP.
- Dundee & Angus Independent Living Centre At the Independent Living Centre, you can try out many different home mobility aids before you buy or are provided with them. Watch this video for a tour round their facilities. Find out more
- Self-Directed Support Service Self-directed Support (SDS) enables people, carers and families across Dundee and Angus to make informed choices about what their social care support is and how it is delivered. This video explains how to access advice and support throughout the process.
- Alzheimers Scotland We speak to Jeni Sinclair, a Dementia Advisor for Alzheimer’s Scotland Dundee Resource Centre. Jeni chats to Claire our host about the range of services and support available for unpaid carers.
- Dundee United Para-Sports Ryan from Dundee United Community Trust, speaks to us about the development of the para-sport provisions across the city. Dundee United Para-Sports club Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/dundeeunitedpsc
- NHS Tayside School Nurses In this short video, we hear from the NHS Tayside School Nurses Team who provide information on how the service supports young people within schools across Dundee.
- Student Carer Transitions at Dundee & Angus College. Kieran was joined by Sarah Thom from Dundee & Angus College about the support available to Student Carers at the college. We also played a video from the Guidance Team from Harris Academy on the support in place for young carers at the school.
- Young Carers Health Checks at The Corner We hear from Steph from the Outreach Team at the Corner about Young Peoples Health Checks.
- (see also personal development)