The Employment Relations (Flexible Working) Act is due to come into effect for employers throughout Scotland and the rest of UK in 2024. Here is what you need to know about the new legislation and how you can prepare your organisation.
What will the Employment Relations Act 2023 mean for Scottish employers?
This new act will make a number of changes to employment law with regards to flexible working. These changes include:
- All employees will be able to request flexible working from day one in their employment.
- Employees will be able to ask for changes to their hours, working times or work location.
- Changes to flexible working arrangements can be requested twice a year.
- The onus will now be on the employer to think about how to make a flexible working request work.
- Employers will need to respond to a flexible working request within two months.
- An employer will have to consult with the employee if they want to refuse a request.