Issues around money are sensitive and can cause significant anxiety, worry and stress. For carers, this can be exacerbated by having to manage a caring role, rearrange work around care needs, retiring early, or having less household income as the cared for person can no longer work.

There are organisations across Dundee who can provide support around how to apply for benefits, information and advice around income maximisation and help to identify and apply for a range of grants or loans.

As the rules and types of benefits have changed significantly over the past few years, the best way to find out what you may be entitled to is by speaking to a Welfare Rights worker. They will meet with you to discuss your specific situation, support you to claim the appropriate benefit(s). Some organisations may also give you advice and support on how to manage your finances.

The following organisations can provide support:

Dundee City Council Welfare Rights Team

Dundee City Council WR Service

Dundee City Council’s Welfare Rights Team can help Dundee residents sort out a wide range of benefit and tax credit problems. We can identify what benefits you may be entitled to, assess the merits of your case if you want to challenge a decision, and represent you at tribunal if you have a case.

To contact the team, call The Advice Line on 01382 431167. The Advice Line runs from Monday to Friday between 9.30am and 4.30pm. It is normally staffed by two Welfare Rights Officers who are skilled in answering detailed questions about benefits, tax credits or debt.

For more information, please visit

Dundee North Law Centre

Dundee North Law centre is a free legal resource. Dundee North Law Centre undertakes expert advice, court and tribunal representations in Dundee, and serves the residents of Whitfield, Mid Craigie/Linlathen, Beechwood, Kirkton, Ardler, Charleston, Lochee, Maxwelltown/South Hilltown, Fintry, Mill o’Mains, Douglas, parts of Menzieshill, Stobswell, St Mary’s and some city areas.

For more information, please visit

Brooksbank Money Advice Section

Brooksbank Money Advice Section is part of Brooksbank Centre and Services.

The Money Advice Section offers assistance to those individuals who have debt problems or need help with finding their way around the benefit system. We also provide help with form filling for claiming benefits. We provide this service at various venues including Brooksbank Centre, Ardler Community Centre, Whitfield Community Centre, Douglas Community Centre, Maxwelltown Information Centre, St Mary’s Community Facility and Mill O’Mains Pavilion. If necessary, home visits can be provided.

Brooksbank Money Advice Section covers:

  • Help with budgeting
  • Advice on benefit entitlements
  • Help with completing forms
  • Write letter on your behalf in relation to debt and benefit issues
  • Help with negotiations for reduce payment arrangements with your creditors
  • Provide you with advice, information and referral on low cost loans and savings
  • Refer you for advice and assistance on matters relating to legal issues, energy problems, child home safety, appeal representation

For more information, please visit